A long-awaited vacation or business trip - a trip “beyond the three seas”, as a rule, is associated with joyful excitement for us. How not to forget about important trifles (and there are a million of them!) And at the same time not to lose wanderlustcraving for wanderings?
It is unnecessary to remind you that you need to learn English before traveling abroad: being the universal language of world communication, English will help you to communicate in almost any country in the world. However, the rule of good taste will be to know some of the most necessary words and phrases in the language of the country you are going to (at least at the level of: “Hello!”, “Thank you!”, And “Tell me, please, where is the toilet?”).
Here are some tips on how to best prepare for air travel.
We plan a trip: do not forget about your passport, visa and currency
- Make sure you have a valid passport in your hands. If you travel with children, take care of the documents for them too: you can find out about the rules for processing travel documents at the FMS and from companies offering assistance in obtaining passports.
- Take care of getting a visa to countries with a visa entry.
- Make sure that you bring with you a sufficient amount of foreign currency that is in circulation in the country of destination.
- If you bring credit cards with you, make sure that they will not be blocked by the bank when you cross the border - notify the bank in which countries you intend to pay them.
- Make photocopies of your passports. During your stay in a foreign country, it is recommended that you keep your passports in the hotel safe, and always have a copy with you - so you have less chance of losing the original.
Ticket booking: better to fly non-stop
- Try to book plane tickets (“to book a flight”) right to your destination, without transfers. Any “connections” are initially risky: flights can be delayed, delayed, and you will lose precious nerve cells. For what?
- When booking your tickets, think about how you will get to and from the airport (to the hotel, or on the way back - home). If necessary, order a taxi or rent a car. If you drive to the airport with your own car, refuel and consider parking options.
- After booking your tickets, print and always have at hand all the departure information (“itinerary”).
In the plane
- Carefully hide your hand luggage in the luggage compartment above the chair so that in case of shaking it does not fall on your head. It is also recommended to take off your shoes, because the flight will be long, and sooner or later you will want to do it.
- In flight they offer meals. An open lunchbox with food should be opened like a book, and not like a laptop. In this case, the lunchbox fits perfectly on the table, and its lid forms a garbage container. You can also put drinks in it - if something, God forbid, spills, it will not be on you.
- Do not forget to put the smartphone in the “off” or “air mode” position. This will not only save you battery power, but also reduce the risk of conflicts with the devices of the liner.
What to do on the plane
- Modern airliners have televisions in the backs of chairs. Alternatively, you can watch a movie in advance on your laptop. It is better to use headphones, because the plane is quite noisy. You can also read books and drink alcohol.
- If you have to fly often, then it makes sense to buy an e-book to read - not so much for the sake of saving on reading, but rather so as not to carry extra load with you.
- Do not get drunk during long flights. Due to the sitting position and low mobility, the legs swell strongly. In addition, if you are a smoker, then you will want to smoke. The only conditionally suitable place is the toilet. The smoke detector usually triggers there. This is followed by either paying a large fine, or canceling a ticket and deducting from a flight somewhere at a refueling point. This is not a joke, I personally watched such a scene, a tourist was taken off a flight at the Dubai airport, halfway from Singapore to Moscow.
- Finally, you can take sleeping pills with you. After taking it, do not forget to fasten your seat belt and remove the table. In this case, the flight is faster, and after landing it is not necessary to suffer from a change in time zone.
- "Check the contents of the pockets in front of the passenger sitting," - such an announcement was made once by a senior flight attendant. And this is true, only I mean your pocket for magazines in the passenger seat in front of you. Travelers regularly forget valuable things in it, but you should not be among them.
- After landing, it makes no sense to immediately jump up and run to the exit. You will have at least 10-15 minutes to get dressed, put on shoes and pack. Ahead is the path to the airport, and then - the procedure for passport control and baggage claim.
- Before passport control, you will need to fill out an immigration card or something like that. Here the pen, which was mentioned at the beginning, is very useful to you. In some cases, an immigration card may be given on an airplane.
- There are usually no problems with getting baggage and going through customs, although there are nuances. Baggage is placed on the tape, where it turns, while passengers take it apart. It will be easier if your bags are original in shape and are brightly colored.
With a high degree of probability during long-haul flights you will have to transfer from one aircraft to another. In this case, consider the following:
Baggage and carry-on baggage: keep valuables in your carry-on baggage, do not exceed the allowable weight
- If you are planning a flight, you should find out in the airline the maximum allowable weight of baggage and hand luggage that you are allowed to take on board - and, of course, do not exceed it.
- Distinguish between baggage (“baggage”, “luggage”) and hand luggage (“carry ‑ on”). Baggage is taken to the luggage compartment, and hand luggage is taken with you on the plane. The most important and necessary should be in hand luggage: documents, money, valuables, mobile devices, medicines ... This will save you from a headache - in the literal and figurative sense.
- Take things to a minimum: the smaller the suitcases, the easier it will be in your soul! However, do not expect to buy the missing items of clothing and shoes at the airport or "on the spot": their search can take up too much precious time.
- If you nevertheless put something valuable in your luggage, use the “suitcase wrapping” service - for about $ 15 your suitcase is wrapped in plastic wrap, which to some extent protects it from breaking and damage.
Check in for a flight: come to the start of check-in or check-in online
- Try to arrive at the beginning of check-in: for international flights, check-in starts 4 hours, for European flights 3 hours before departure (for local flights, “domestic flights” 2 hours before departure). If registration is quick, you can, for example, go to the tax free shops or just relax before the flight. Remember that check-in ends 40 minutes before departure and no one will be late.
- When registering for a flight (“check-in”), you will be given a boarding pass - “boarding pass”, which you will need to show on the plane. After checking in, you will check in your luggage, leaving only carry-on baggage with you.
- If online check-in for your flight is possible at your airport, it is better to “go through the check-in” at home by printing your boarding pass on a printer. In this case, you do not need to contact the check-in counter at the airport.
Boarding a flight: wait for the announcement or follow the scoreboard
- So, you received a boarding pass, passed control, checked your things in luggage. Now you are waiting for the boarding announcement for your flight: «Flight57isboarding.» (“Boarding of flight No. 57 is announced”). You can also follow the information on the scoreboard (“Arrivals” means arrival, and “Departures” means departure).
- After the boarding announcement, you take your hand luggage with you and go to the terminal you need (its number is indicated on the boarding pass). You are delivered to the plane, conveyor or bus - and here you are on board!
1. The best place in the cabin is at the window
Choosing a place near the window, you kill several birds with one stone: firstly, you can lean against the wall to take a nap, and secondly, the neighbors will not bother you to go out. And of course, you will be provided with a wonderful view.
2. Choose comfortable clothing
The times when the most sophisticated outfits were chosen for traveling by plane have long passed - give preference to comfortable and convenient clothes that will not hamper your movements.
During long flights, the temperature in the cabin can change, so it’s best to dress in “layers”, e.g. shirt, sweater, sweatshirt. Do not forget to bring warm socks with you so that you can take off your shoes and not freeze.
3. Take water with you, eliminate caffeine and alcohol
To avoid dehydration, do not forget to drink plenty of water during the flight. The glasses that the stewardesses offer are not too big, and in order not to wait again, it is better to stock up with several bottles of water (do not forget to buy it only after checking the baggage).
Better to Stop Caffeinated Drinks: It interferes with sleep, increases dehydration. Alcohol may relieve stress a little, but can also lead to dehydration and lethargy.
4. Take care of your face
On board an airplane there is a very low level of humidity, which is why our skin suffers in the first place. To avoid discomfort, follow these tips:
- Direct the air flow of the air conditioner where it is suitable, except for the face.
- If the skin starts to shine, wipe your face with cleansing wipes and apply a moisturizer.
- Do not spray water on your face - this will dry your skin even more. Or pat it dry with a cloth after spraying.
5. Sit back in the chair
Legs become numb from long sitting and the back is very tired, and the seats in the airplane are not very comfortable. Put a pillow, a folded scarf or sweater under the lower back, and do not forget to hide in a blanket. It’s better to ask for a pillow and a blanket as soon as you board the plane (sometimes they quickly end).
Also do not forget: the higher the legs relative to the floor, the better, so try to put them directly on your own luggage under the front seat chair.
6. Stock up on everything you need for a comfortable sleep
Instead of massive gadgets like a big laptop and a few thick books it’s better to take a bag with useful things in flight with you to the cabin. With them, even in economy class, you will be able to sleep and relax:
- Earplugs or noise canceling headphones.
- Mask for sleep.
- Neck pillow.
Charges on the road
When going on a trip, you need to make sure that the time spent on the plane goes unnoticed. To do this, prepare the following things in advance:
- clothing. Sometimes the flight lasts 5-6 hours or more. All this time you have to spend in a chair. Therefore, choosing the form of clothing, you do not need to dress in exquisite outfits. It should be remembered that during the flight you will have to not only sit, but also sleep. Be sure to take warm clothes with you. The temperature overboard reaches minus 50-60 °, and if the place is located at the window, the fuselage of the aircraft cools down. Legs sometimes freeze, so warm socks are taken with you.
- Food. They are not always fed during the flight, or the offered food for some reason may not be suitable. In order not to remain hungry, you can wrap food and candy with you. Be sure to take water with you.
- A book. It is recommended to take something to read.
A long flight is very tiring. Ahead there is a folding table.
If there is not enough light, then on the top panel there is an individual flashlight.
In the cabin
During the flight you need to know some features. These include:
- The location of the row. To have a good view from the window, you need to choose the right place. If you sit in the middle of the cabin, only the liner’s wing will be visible from the window. Therefore, it is better to take tickets not in the central part.
- If landing takes place at night, when you want to sleep and have a desire to be on the plane faster, you should make a little trick. Passengers boarding a bus. No need to rush to sit in it. Better to go last. Then there will be no queue in front of the ramp.
- Ear disease. During take-off and landing, due to a sharp pressure drop, it begins to lay ears. To get rid of such discomfort, you need to put a lollipop in your mouth. If it is not, then you should constantly yawn. Such a procedure effectively helps.
- Pillow. If under the head lies an inflatable headrest, it is not recommended to inflate it to the limit.
Differential atmospheric pressure negatively affects the material. As a result, it may not stand and burst.
After the end of the flight, you can especially take your time with the exit, because you still have to wait until the baggage is unloaded.