French onion sauce is delicious, it’s easy to get addicted to, it is ideal for parties or just for those evenings when you want to feel like a vegetarian with a bag of chips and a delicious sauce. The sauces you buy in stores may be equally delicious, but it is likely that they are made up of many unnatural ingredients and you can make a much better product in the comfort of your own home. So what is stopping you from starting now? See Step 1 to start cooking this delicious appetizer.
- onions - 6 pieces,
- sunflower oil - 120 milliliters,
- water - 120 milliliters,
- sour cream 20% - 180 grams,
- flour - 30 grams,
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon,
- soda - 1/4 teaspoon,
- ground black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon.
1. For some varieties, tart onion bitterness is characteristic: such vegetables are good in raw form, but they are not suitable for sour cream sauce. It is worth paying attention to the bulbs with snow-white skin, such instances will not spoil the dishes. There is no sugar in the sauce, so sour cream should be thick and fresh, without sour notes and signs of fermentation.
2. The peeled onions are washed, cut into large cubes.
3. Onion cubes are placed in a pan or deep pan, pour the indicated measure of water.
4. Add soda and sunflower oil. The dishes are covered, the fire is set medium. 5. The boiling time can last from 15 to 25 minutes, the readiness is determined based on the condition of the onion slices. They should become soft flakes of light yellow color. Onions always have a tendency to stick, you need to mix “onion porridge” several times, lifting the glued pieces from the bottom with a spoon.
6. The onion mass is whipped with a blender, the resulting mashed potatoes will become light and quite thick.
7. Sour cream is added to the onion sauce, whipped again with a blender.
8. Pour flour. Beat the sauce until the flour is completely dissolved.
9. Add salt and ground black pepper. Other spices can behave too intrusively, interrupting the onion taste, and black pepper wonderfully complement the sauce, adding spice to it.
10. Next, you need to bring the sauce to a boil and hold it on fire for 10-20 seconds. The heated sauce is once again stirred and left in the pan until it cools. Onion sauce will be thick, if you need to get a liquid sauce, you can add 50-100 milliliters of water before boiling.
The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in a closed glass or ceramic jar.
Onion sauce is offered both warm and chilled. It will turn out deliciously if you pour hot baked or fried meat with cold sauce.
At an unpretentious student party with simplified serving requirements, the sauce is served in portioned bowls, which are then dipped in crispy chicken wings, cheese sticks, french fries.
To make the finished sauce sparkle with new colors, you can divide it into two parts, then add chopped roasted almonds in one, and boiled peeled shrimps in the other.
The main ingredient in onion dressing, of course, is onion. It is recommended to choose onions of white varieties, since in the sauce sweet onions of red varieties can affect the overall taste concept. Do not worry if the purchased onion turned out to be too burning and fragrant, since the heat treatment combined with the mild taste of sour cream will allow you to slightly balance the onion's aggressiveness. Green onion sauce has a more fresh taste - it turns out a kind of alternative recipe for the summer season.
- Butter is sent to the pan. While it is melting, you can chop the onion. There are a lot of slicing options: you can make larger pieces, half rings or even rings, or you can chop finely and finely so that the onion sauce is homogeneous. In any case, the recipe allows you to drive the dressing through a blender after cooking.
- Chopped onions are poured onto the melted and hot oil. It is fried for about 15 minutes over medium heat until a light golden hue appears. When the onion is ready, wheat flour is poured into it. It is necessary to stir the mixture so that the flour does not burn, but acquires a pleasant cream color and a nutty flavor. This will take about 5 minutes.
- When the flour reaches the necessary condition, pour boiling water into the pan, add salt and pepper, mix the mixture and then, reducing the heat, simmer for 15-20 minutes.
The amount of sour cream in the onion gravy can also be adjusted to achieve the required seasoning density. The quality requirements for sour cream are quite high: homemade sour cream, which can be purchased at farmers' shops and in the market, is an ideal option. Usually it is much thicker and fatter than store sour cream, it has a pleasant creamy taste and only subtle sourness. Sour cream can be replaced with cream, which will give the sauce a more delicate taste.
- When the onions and flour are stewed until cooked, sour cream is added to the pan. It can not be brought to a boil - just warm it up properly. Having boiled, sour cream can curl up, which, naturally, will spoil the sauce.
- Cream cheese is added to the hot sauce, then the mixture is thoroughly mixed, and the pan is removed from the heat. Freshly chopped fresh green onions are sent to it. Then you need to let the dressing infuse under a closed lid for 15–20 minutes.
- Ready gravy can be served with onion slices or chopped in a blender - the recipe allows you to create different options for consistency. They serve the dressing in a warm form, but the cooled sauce turns out to be no less tasty, so the remaining product can be stored in the refrigerator, but not more than two days.
Traditionally, onion sauce is prepared with various fish dishes. In any form: fried, baked or boiled - the fish goes well to taste with onions and sour cream. In addition to hot dishes with dressing, fish snacks of various kinds can be served, from tartlets to hot sandwiches. Green onion sauce can be served with pickled, salted fish or salads from it.
One of the most popular options is onion sauce with mushrooms. Fried or baked mushrooms and forest mushrooms with such dressing will instantly become the main decoration of the table. Onion sauce is good for meat and various types of poultry. In this case, it is recommended to add a little fresh chopped garlic to it after cooking, since the garlic aroma fits perfectly into the taste of meat dishes. The onion dressing recipe is suitable for vegetable side dishes from potatoes, green beans, carrots and green peas.