Increasingly, they turn to me with a question about what to do when the iPhone or iPad does not turn on and does not respond to the connection to the charging or computer. It is impossible to pinpoint the reason for this “phenomenon”. This may be an unsuccessful firmware update, or a tweak from Cydia that is incompatible with life. Whatever happens to your device, the main thing is that it is not water. If the device cannot be started and restored using the usual methods, it remains to use the special firmware recovery mode. Today I will tell you how to enter the iPhone (iPad) in DFU mode and bring life back to your gadget.
- If you need to enter iPhone X or 8 in DFU mode - read this article
What is DFU mode?
Dfu (Device Firmware Update) is a special mode in which you can restore the iOS device firmware when any other attempts to restore the device were unsuccessful.
DFU mode is necessary only when:
ATTENTION:Restoring a device in DFU mode will destroy all data stored on this device.
How to enter iPhone into DFU mode and restore firmware?
To get started, fully read the instructions, so it will be easier to understand what procedure you have to do. To put the phone / tablet into DFU mode, carefully do the following:
STEP 1 Leave the device connected to charge for at least 5 minutes. Then connect the cable to your computer and launch iTunes. If the device is not found in iTunes, go to the second step.
STEP 2 Press and hold the HOME and POWER buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds, then release the POWER button
STEP 3 Continue to hold the HOME button until the message “iTunesRecovery mode". This may take 15 to 30 seconds, so don't rush to panic.
NOTE:If you successfully enter DFU mode, the phone screen should not display anything.
If iTunes did not display a message that the device has entered recovery mode or something is displayed on the phone’s screen, then you lost counting seconds. Try again, and if necessary, use a stopwatch.
After you enter DFU mode, you will probably want to restore the firmware on your iPhone (iPad). To do this, iTunes has a special “Restore iPhone” button (see image above). If you change your mind and want to exit DFU mode, disconnect the cable from the iPhone and hold down the buttons Home and Power for 10 seconds. After which the phone / tablet should reboot.
Now attention! If you have successfully entered DFU mode, let me know by giving a like to this article. The buttons for social networks are located a little lower.
How to enter DFU mode
To transfer the iPad to emergency operation format, you need to perform a number of simple steps:
- Connect the tablet to a computer (laptop) with iTunes installed using a USB cable.
- Run the program on the computer.
- Turn off the iPad.
- Simultaneously press and hold the power button of the Power device (at the top of the gadget's body) and the Home button (located under the display). Track 10 seconds, then release the power button and continue to hold “Home” for a few more seconds.
- Make sure that iPad is switched to DFU mode, and not to Recovery Mode. The tablet screen should be black (the unlock slider or logo should not light). Also, iTunes should display a message that it has detected iPad loaded in the emergency (recovery) format.
We managed to introduce the gadget into DFU, now we can reflash it or make iOS an earlier version.
Recovery Mode and DFU: what is the difference
Despite the fact that both DFU and Recovery are emergency modes of the tablet, there are some fundamental differences between them:
- Recovery Mode is used for soft recovery of iOS, which does not allow to eliminate only minor errors in the system. DFU allows you to restore the working state of the iPad in case of any failure.
- In order to enter the device into Recovery operation, it is not necessary to turn it off. It starts using iOS itself.
- Device Firmware Update works only with iTunes, and Recovery Mode performs all the actions on its own.
How to enter iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus in DFU Mode
1. Connect the device to the computer using a cable.
2. Hold the buttons at the same time Home + Inclusions until the device screen goes blank (10-15 seconds).
3. One second, after the device screen goes off, release the button Inclusionsbut keep holding the button Home for 15 seconds.
After the device is in DFU mode, iTunes or another program used will notify you that the device is in recovery mode.
How to bring iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus from DFU Mode
In order to exit the DFU mode, just press and hold the buttons simultaneously Inclusions and Home within 10-15 seconds, until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
How to enter iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in DFU Mode
The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are the only Apple smartphones to receive a second modification of the process to enable DFU mode.
1. Connect your iPhone 7 to your Mac or Windows computer
2. Launch iTunes (download link),
3. Turn off your iPhone,
4. Press and hold the power button located on the right iPhone for 2 seconds,
5. While holding the power button, press and hold the volume down button located on the left,
6. Hold both buttons for 10 seconds.
7. Release the power button while continuing to hold the volume down button for another five seconds,
8. If the display still remains off, then the device has switched to DFU mode. In this case, iTunes will display a notification that it detects a connected iPhone 7, after which it can be restored (instructions).
Note: If the Apple logo appears on the screen, it means that you held the buttons for too long and you need to repeat all over again,
In DFU mode, the screen should not display anything (just a black display).
9. Note: if any logos appear on the screen (Apple, iTunes with cable, etc.), then you have activated recovery mode, not DFU. If it works, great. If not, try turning on the DFU mode again.
How to put iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max into DFU Mode
1. Connect the included iPhone to the computer on which iTunes is installed using the cable.
2. Press the button Increase sound on the left side panel, then release it.
3. Press the button Decrease sound on the left side panel, then release it.
4. Press and hold the power button - until the iPhone screen turns black. This usually takes about 10 seconds.
5. Without releasing the power button, press and hold the button as well Decrease sound - within 5 seconds.
6. Release the power button, but continue to hold the button Decrease sound for about 10 seconds.
7. In iTunes, a notification appears that the program found the iPhone in Recovery Mode.
Done - your iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are in DFU (black screen) mode! Now you can begin to restore or update it (detailed instructions).
If, after all the manipulations done, you didn’t see the notification in iTunes, it means that an error was made somewhere. Reread the instructions again - now as carefully as possible - and try again.
How to exit DFU mode on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
If you didn’t log in to DFU in order to restore the firmware of your iPhone, but for something else (for example, just try how to enter the mode) and have already completed your work, you can exit it like this:
1. Press and quickly release the button Increase volume.
2. Press and quickly release the button Turn down the volume.
3. Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
How to get iPad out of DFU
We succeeded in putting the tablet into work for disaster recovery and performing all the necessary actions, for example, flashing. However, to use iPad, you need to exit DFU. At the same time, simply disconnecting the gadget from the computer is not enough. Have to carry out a "cold restart" of the tablet.
To do this, simultaneously press and hold the power button for the device and the Home button for 10 seconds, release them and simply turn on the iPad. If everything is done correctly, the interface of the installed iOS will load.
That's all, now you know how to put your Apple mobile device into emergency operation mode, which will help to cope with any problems and failures that arose during its use.